It’s that time of the year where most of us reflect on the past year. 2017 has been eventful for me to say the least. It’s been filled with ups and downs but thankfully more ups than anything else! With 2017 coming to a close, I thought that it would be a good time to reflect on some of my favorite memories. I’ve had so many great memories throughout the year so it was difficult to narrow it down to just 5 but here they are…
1) Our first date – After having Jax, that is. This was the first time we went out by ourselves without Jax. My parents were kind enough to come over to watch him for a few hours so we can have a late Valentine’s Day lunch at Fogo de Chao down in Gaslamp. The food was amazing & it was just great to spend some quality time together – just the two of us. JJ was actually gone for most of my pregnancy and the first month after Jax was born because of the military so we definitely needed this date. It just felt so good to have that time with him. We still don’t get too many days like that so this one was special.
2) My first Mother’s Day as a mom – This was a special day for me. I remember thinking, “I’m part of the Mama Club now!”. I’m not going to lie, the first couple of months of motherhood were difficult to say the least & it just really felt good to have a day for me. Does that sound a little selfish? Maybe…but it’s the truth. We went to Ironside in Little Italy & had a nice little brunch. Jax wasn’t in a very good mood that day but we made it work…like always.
3) Jax’s 1st birthday – His 1st birthday was a very BIG thing for me. Jax probably had no idea what was going on but it meant a lot to me. Not only was my son turning 1 but the fact that JJ and I survived the first year of his childhood was HUGE! Seriously. We did a superhero theme & being the thrifty person that I am, I DIY’d most of the decorations. I was big ball of stress up until the day of but it was all worth it.
4) Jax walking to Daddy for the first time – This was a huge milestone for all of us. During this time, JJ was away for training for 10 days and I had no contact with him whatsoever. Before he left, Jax was already taking a step or two but wasn’t fully walking. The day he came back, Jax was able to walk towards him like a pro. I cried…no, I UGLY cried. It made me realize two things…Jax is growing up way too fast and that it’s going to be much harder keeping him out of trouble now that he’s walking.
5) Launching the blog – I’ve always toyed with the idea of starting a blog but I always found excuses not to. “I’m too busy with Jax.” “I can’t write.” “What if people don’t read my posts?” “We don’t have the money to invest in a blog.” Finally after months of making excuses & JJ calling me out on my BS and pushing me (Love you, B!), I finally bit the bullet. I’m so glad that I did. I’m not going to lie, there was a point where I just stopped posting and got discouraged but thankfully, I’m starting back up again this coming year.
This past year has been crazy but I’m so excited to see what the next year has in store for all of us. I wish you all nothing but the best in 2018. See y’all next year! Have a safe & Happy New Year!
PEACE OUT, 2017 & HELLO 2018!